Thursday, November 3, 2011

e......

I have been trying to find a simple explanation for why Spanish speakers cannot pronounce words in English that start with "st," "sl," "sp," etc. and have to add an "e" sounds on to help say it.  They have some words that already help out such as: estadio, esquiar, escorpion, escultura, and especial.   Rob and my Spanish teacher point out that it is difficult for native Spanish speakers to pronounce two consonants together so we hear words like (with contributions from the kids):

estop
eslash (when spelling out a web site)
esock
estart
eSpiderman (they actually use both Hombre Arana and eSpiderman)
estupido
estretch (from Pilates)
estrapless (from a Bat Mitzvah)
eSprite
esmall (Renee's bathing suit size)


I may never be able to say these words again without adding the "e."  Maybe I can use my observation to help tutor ESL kids back in South Bend.  Maybe.

Elisa wanted to add "Elisa" -  Doesn't quite fit the pattern but I'll include it ;-)

1 comment: