Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chilean Fashion

As several of my friends know I was worried that my South Bend wardrobe would not fit into Santiago and that I would not be able to find clothing in my size here.  In retrospect, both were valid concerns but I quick realized that it just didn't matter - ah, the wisdom of age.

People are very conscious of their social class and the way that they dress is usually a strong indicator of class so people are very conscious of how they dress.  The typical Mom wears high heel black boots, leggings or tight pants and some type of "tunic" top that covers the tush and usually beyond.  Of course, it is getting hot out so we'll see some new wardrobes soon.  So far it looks like a Flashdance revival with three inch heeled sandals and black bra straps showing.  I'm not going there.  Men dress pretty conservatively in suits and ties for business.  I have rarely seen either men or women in shorts but I assume that will change soon or else that they sweat a lot.

As I was waiting for Elisa to finish her swimming lesson the other day I asked some down-to-earth Moms what their normal swimsuit attire was for the outdoor pool here.  I mentioned the Lands End skirt look so in fashion at our community pool at home and they all cringed.  They didn't buy the tankini either.  Eventually we got to the point that they offered to go bikini shopping with me so that I would not embarrass my children ;-)  I am not sure what will embarrass them more - my Lands End suits or a bikini!  Photos may not show up in this case.......I am reminded of my friend April Lidinsky's radio essay for Michiana Chronicles - "Skirting the Issue" - boy I miss those essays - but I see that they are all available as an MP3 now!

Renee and I keep joking that I never know which classmate she is describing because they all look alike (this is beyond the school uniforms and the adolescent need to conform) with the same long hair pinned up in the same way.   She recently learned that in addition to flat-ironing many of them chemically straighten their hair - that option never even crossed her (or my) mind for a 12-year old.  They are all envious of her naturally straight hair ;-) I keep thinking of the Gary Larson cartoon below that I swiped off of the internet.  I am not sure when and if this happens here...I commend Renee for going against the grain but it is not easy at her age and definitely not easy here.  I do have to point out that she hasn't asked to get her hair cut yet but it will never get as long as the Chilean girls' at least not this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment