Saturday, July 30, 2011

Walking and praying

Chileans are neither as thin as their Argentine neighbors nor as "large" as Americans even though they eat a lot of bread.  Based on how much we have been walking I'd say that the average Chilean (or at least Santiguino) is probably pretty fit.  Until we get a car (Rob submitted a form to get his identity number which will help with the process - they "said" that it should be ready by 8/8), we will get to know the public transportation system which is great until you have to go somewhere far away like the main synagogue.

I had contacted the synagogue before we left and the Rabbi's wife had been very welcoming.  The main service is the Friday night service so we went to try it out tonight and the Rabbi's wife told the security folks that we'd be showing up.  It started at 7:30 and we were running late so we took a taxi which wasn't cheap.  It is a Masorati synagogue which is basically part of the same Conservative movement as our synagogue at home.  The main difference is that they have a pianist accompanying the service.  I asked the Rabbi about it and he went into a long talmudic explanation about how you can play instruments that don't have strings because nothing would need to be fixed.  I then noted that piano's do have strings and he didn't buy it (Lizzie/Rabbi - thoughts?).   Otherwise it was quite comforting, as it always is, to hear some of the same melodies etc. even with a Chilean accent. The Rabbi's wife knew we were coming so towards the end of the service the Rabbi called up the whole family for an honor and to welcome us - we were totally unprepared.  In fact, only the "girls" went up at first because I didn't know where Rob and Jonathan were (most likely wandering the halls).  It was nice because then during the kiddush people came up to us to welcome us.  At our synagogue the kids go up to sing the final prayer at the end of Saturday morning services.  Here, the kids go up to say kiddush (blessing over the wine) and then get wine and a candy.  Our kids were upset that they didn't know the custom once they saw that the others came down with a candy (Lizzie/Rabbi - thoughts?).

I am realizing that I have so many different things to write about but I will save them for another day (on one of my infamous lists).

1 comment:

  1. This was really interesting Sarah! I am learning more about your culinary and religious traditions. We are leaving town tomorrow for two weeks, and I know Jean is out of town as well. We are heading to Manitoba to see my mom and then off to Calgary to visit with my sister and nieces. Should be an interesting trip, and if you were here I would tell you all about it, so right now I am a little frustrated. Maybe I should learn to skype as well Renee? Peter does it all the time, but I would have to be the one going off to an exotic local for once. N'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete