Monday, January 23, 2012

La Vega - this time with an "expert"

Although I have been to La Vega (the large produce market in downtown Santiago) already, each time I have gone without a car and have roamed around endlessly just admiring the beautiful produce.  I joke with my kids on whether or not an experience is "blog-worthy" (for those of a certain age and nationality it might remind you of a Seinfeld episode).  This was, but I didn't take enough pictures to do it justice, I was too busy ogling the tomatoes.

This time I went with my friend Dorit who has a business renting out a large chocolate "cascade" for events and often prepares the fruit for dipping (for Chilean readers and anybody else who needs a visual chocolate fix check out: http://chocolatefountain.cl/).  When she has an event she heads to La Vega to buy melon, pineapple, and strawberries in bulk - really in bulk - and therefore needs a car.  Dorit reminds me of my Aunt Judy in Israel - artistic, strong-willed, and game for an adventure.  When she is not juggling the chocolate fountain and three kids she also has a jewelry-making business (here goes another plug - www.dorit.cl).  An inspiration for juggling life/kids/work!

This was my first venture into the parking lots - not Dorit's car but an amazing feat nonetheless.  

Quite impressive as well.  What you don't see are the 8 melons and all of the fruits and veggies for  her family for the week!

Some of our bounty for lunch - a shameless brag to my Northern Hemisphere readers looking out at the snow - fresh corn, red peppers, cherries, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, olives, an Israeli chopped salad, tomatoes with basil, cucumbers, pasta with fresh pesto, pebre, salad......I am in heaven (oh yeah, there was gazpacho for dinner too)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment