Sunday, February 19, 2012

Buenos Aires Solos!

My in-laws graciously agreed to watch our kids for a weekend while we headed out to Buenos Aires for a weekend of walking, talking, and eating.  Rob lived here for 14 years but left in 1990 so he felt like (and was assumed to be) a tourist as well.  On Saturday we walked through many of the tourist neighborhoods.  It was a good 95 degrees out and 95% humidity that was not the best weather for a day of walking but we got a nap in the middle of it and hydrated often (my hair finally got some body back).  The photos will describe how we each focused on different things as we walked along:


Rob - media lunas and cafe con leche for breakfast at Las Violetas, a restored cafe in a non-touristy neighborhood

Rob - Flan con crema y dulce de leche
Rob - the salad and pasta at dinner.  Sarah - the old ladies behind Rob
Rob and Sarah - The old man in La Boca singing a tango (with musicians backing him up and a couple dancing to the side).

Sarah - The old men watching the musicians in La Boca.

Sarah - a cat to show Renee in La Boca

Rob - a famous bridge in La Boca
After dinner of lomo (for Rob) and a pizza (for me), we skipped our wild plans to go out to hear music or something and hit the sack.  It rained on and off on Sunday (whew!) so we didn't walk as much but saw some of the embassies and mansions, caught up on books/newspaper in cafes, headed to the Museum of Latin American Art and ate.  The only issue is that we will both have sore necks from looking down to make sure we didn't step in dog poop!

We ate so much butter and sugar and two coffees each for breakfast that we remained buzzed the rest of the day.

The men having breakfast together.


A few other things that we noticed:

For any of our bicycle-commuting friends - how brilliant is this!!!

Like McDonalds that offers cafe con leche con media lunas for breakfast, Starbucks caters to the local tastes.

Argentina, like Chile, was trying to capitalize on Valentine's Day.  They have the decorations down but haven't quite figured out the cheap chocolate hearts.
Thank you Gilly, Alberto, Lucy and Robert!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, Rob and the kids

    I assume you are back in Santiago? Did you have problems going to Argentina?

    Sorry it has taken me so long to write. I have been struggling to find a few free moments where I am not called on to deal with one emergency or another. I actually had to read a month of blogs in one shot, and so all the things I want to comment on will miss their immediacy.

    First, Peter would be happy to take Jonathan fishing. Fly or rod? Fly is an art form and I bet Jonathan would love it.

    It looks like it is hot, hot down there, while it has been remarkably warm here this winter. Of course you would miss it! It has been great for taking Owen and Buddy for walks. Peter and Kel have been skiing almost every week-end, but it is all on made snow.

    I have very good news for you, which you have no doubt have heard by now - Whole Foods is moving to Mishawaka to the old Borders location. You can now officially move back here. Just another four months or so until then, and I am most anxious to catch-up.

    I enjoyed the pictures of your vacation trip. Your border-crossing pain had me both noddding and shaking my head in commiseration. Remind me to tell you about the time we learned we needed a visa for our Canadian passports three days before we left on a trip.

    I noticed Elisa wearing what looked like one of the infamous tie-dyed shirts. Is it one from the party? Sarah can still fit in hers, but I can't imagine that is the case for Elisa.

    As usual that is all the time I am going to grab. Do wish Rob a very belated Happy Birthday for me. Cheerio, Tammy

    ReplyDelete