Sunday, October 23, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa's last few days in Santiago

The last few days of their visit they tagged along with us on some of our normal activities plus a few other things.  On Saturday, after the normal Estadio activities, Renee had a gymnastics meet at a lovely Estadio (Espanol) close to our house.  They saw one of her routines and then decided to check out some of the downtown themselves while the rest of us endured a five hour meet.  They need to figure out a better way to have these meets.  There were actually 11 teams competing from as far away as Bolivia.  It made it interesting but way too long.

They probably would have been happy just catching up on their New Yorkers on  our balcony (there are mountains back there)

I am NOT combing out lice.  Renee could not get away with her normal antenna for the gymnastics meet so I tried to creatively pull pack her hair.

Estadio Espanol
La Moneda from Grandma's camera
Rob, my parents, and I went out for dinner together Saturday night at a local German restaurant for a change of pace but it had a lot of the typical Chilean food and, of course, kuchen and strudel for dessert.  Renee babysat and put Elisa to bed successfully.  We ran home to catch a bit of Notre Dame football streamed on-line (for the uninformed, they lost to USC)

Sunday I went with my folks to our local Farmers Market where the tomatoes and strawberries are looking better every week but I long for some Indian corn and pumpkins at this time of year.  Ah well.  My kids were amazed that they don't use dried corn stalks for the roofs of sukkahs here ;-)
Local Sunday morning farmers market.  They all like to talk English with me.
We then headed over to the "rope" park.  It is located in Parque Araucano, a large public park that is relatively close to our apartment and across the street from the big fancy mall where we went for lunch.










Cotton candy and a coffee - what could be better - my Mom was jealous of the former.
We ended the day at Pueblito Los Dominicos which is an artisan "village" close to our apartment where there is a variety of Chilean artists that range from quite beautiful to kitschy.  It felt like it was developed for tourists but there were many Chileans there as well.  There was also a huge cage with all sorts of birds, a lot of cats wandering around, and opera singers so everybody was kept amused.  It was a lovely day and the kids each found something special to buy, thanks to the grandparents....  
Los Dominicos

Opera singers entertain us at Los Dominicos

I am driving them to the airport tomorrow mid-day where they will continue onto Argentina and Bolivia.  We await our next visitors, the Friedland famly in December!  The bidding is open for a visitor or two in January - any takers???  It will be summer......
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. A great visit!
    The travelers aka grandpa and grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah and family,

    Sorry I have not written in a while, but the last time I tried it simply would not let me post my comment. I know Jen had the same problem. Really a pitiful excuse as I could just e-mail you, but I have this self-centered need to let you know that I am keeping up with your blog.

    How did Renee do in the gymnastics meet? It must have been very exciting considering the participants came from different countries. Such an intense learning experience!

    I enjoyed the discussion of the beach resorts. Peter and I found a couple of lovely ones getting lost in Southern Mexico. Takes me back to our more care-free days:-) Actually, the last time was along the coast in Oaxaca, where both kids threw-up continuously due to the windy roads. Maybe not such a good memory.

    Any time now for the baby, I guess, but really going to try and hold on for another three weeks. Mad at myself for having hypertension, but I am not sure what I could have done about it.

    We lost a lot of leaves in the rain we have had, but some are hanging on for Halloween. Sarah is almost as excited about it as she is for Christmas! Do they celebrate Halloween, or Los Dias de la Muerte, or something similar?

    Peter was pretty much rained out on his trip up to see his father and fish. He left a day late due to flight delays (out of S.B., imagine!), and then they had flood warnings in N.S. He only had two days there in the end, but he would have been very disappointed to not see his father this year. However, I put the kibosh on him going to a conference in Tennessee on the 3rd.

    Peter is home now, a neighbourhood kid has dropped in, and I must get dinner (I need one of your "Nanas", without the guilty baggage, of course).

    Cheers,

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete