Sunday, October 9, 2011

A collection of observations (#1)

I keep a little post-it on me where I jot down odd/interesting observations and then accumulate them here.  It seemed like I gathered enough for a while:

  1. The Chilean word for a boyfriend here is pololo and for a girlfriend is polola.  I learned the verb pololear (courting)!  I also learned googlear ;-)
  2. In addition to jugglers and people selling random thing and food on the street corners there has been a young woman dressed in purple and white to resemble a Kotex product who has been aggressively pushing samples at a nearby street corner.  The kids insisted that I get some - an interesting conversation followed ;-)
  3. Even when the temperatures are in the high 70s the Chilean women are still wearing their tall black leather boots.  Perhaps winter is too short here and they want to get a full season in?
  4. There is no "right turn on red" here unless there is a sign saying that you can do it.  On the other hand, people often turn right from the middle lane or continue going straight on red.   Go figure...
  5. Somehow all the stray dogs figure out how to cross at the corner when the light turns green but the people don't.
  6. I went shopping today at one of the major large supermarkets and they had no apples at all.  How can that be?  Last week about 1/4 of the produce was different types of apples.   It is times like this that I am reminded that no matter how much Chile resembles the States there are some things that are definitely different.
  7. Rob and Jonathan went to a futbol game of La Catolica.  Originally it was the team of the university but it is now a private team but they retained their name - Los cruzados (the crusaders).  My question is what does their mascot look like??????
  8. Justin Bieber is touring South America right now and will be in Santiago on October 15th.  It's the hot ticket but, luckily, my kids could not care less. 
  9. Santiago is extremely dry so my usual poofy hair has not reacted well.  It preferred Buenos Aires.
  10. The Masorti (Conservative movement) Rabbis in Latin America have interpreted the torah differently to allow musical instruments in services. What a joy!  We had drums, a french horn, and a piano at Yom Kippur services.  Definitely livened it up!  Can you imagine Kol Nidre on a french horn?  Amazing!  There has been at least a piano at every service that we have attended.  It definitely keeps up the interest more.
I am sure more observations will follow....

2 comments:

  1. out here in California we have drums as well at Conservative services. You need to work on Rabbi Friedland

    ReplyDelete
  2. luckily Naomi and I just got tall black boots, should we bring them for summer vacation?

    ReplyDelete